Vegan Macaroni and Cheese with Protein
This recipe is low in fat and free of dairy products. It's a healthy version of an American classic macaroni and cheese. The recipe uses cauliflower, vegan cheddar and protein powder!
- 3 cups of cauliflower, chopped
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 1 large chopped garlic clove
- Juice of 1 small lemon (approximately 2 tablespoons
- 1 tablespoon of white or yellow miso paste
- 2 teaspoons spicy mustard
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond or other plant-based milk
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 10 ounces of shredded vegan cheddar cheese (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1 kg of elbow pasta
- Hot sauce, to serve, optional
- 1 serving of GAT SPORT PLANT PROTEIN - Vanilla
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Place the cauliflower and 1 cup of water in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cover, bring to a boil and cook until the cauliflower is completely softened, about 20 minutes. Transfer the cooked cauliflower and all the cooking liquid to a food processor and set aside. Clean the pan.
Heat the oil in the pan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until soft, for about 3 minutes. Add lemon juice, miso, mustard, 1 teaspoon of salt, 3/4 teaspoon of black pepper, cayenne pepper and saffron until well combined. Gradually mix almond milk, nutritional yeast and brown sugar and bring to a boil. Remove from heat.
Process the cauliflower until smooth. With the food processor running, gradually add the hot almond milk mixture and process until extra creamy.
Transfer the cauliflower almond milk mixture to a large saucepan over medium heat, add the vegan Cheddar with the GAT SPORT PLANT PROTEIN and stir occasionally until melted. Meanwhile, add the elbow noodles to the boiling water and cook according to the directions on the package. Strain, reserving 1 cup of water from the pasta. Add the pasta to the sauce and stir to combine. Add a little of the reserved pasta cooking liquid to achieve the desired consistency. Add salt to taste. Serve hot with hot sauce on the side if using.